Image and video hosting by TinyPic

he handles that. It is unbelievable, N

in
Über uns
06.06.2018 15:19
von dasg234 • 3.635 Beiträge

The Philadelphia Phillies must try to find a way to slow down an Atlanta Braves offense that has suddenly come to life.The Braves, who have the worst record in the National League, have been unstoppable on offense for the past week. After Fridays 8-4 over Philadelphia, Atlanta has won five of their last six games and has scored seven or more runs in each of its last four games.The teams meet in the second contest of a three-game series on Saturday at Citizens Bank Park. Atlanta sends right-hander John Gant (1-3, 4.59 ERA) against Philadelphia right-hander Vince Velasquez (8-6, 4.21).Atlanta manager Brian Snitker watched his team bounce back from a 4-0 deficit Friday. I never feel like were out of a ball game, Snitker said. Were kind of doing our thing inning after inning and if it happens, thats great, and if it doesnt, well come back out and do it tomorrow. Theyve got a great sense about them. The confidence is really good.Atlanta banged out 13 hits Friday, three by left fielder Matt Kemp including a three-run homer, and three by center fielder Ender Inciarte, who raised his average to .291. Freddie Freeman had two hits, who extended his on-base streak to 25 games.Velasquez will see if his luck can change against the Braves. In two starts against Atlanta this season, the rookie is 0-1 with a 4.50 ERA. He lost a 2-1 decision to the Braves on July 29 despite allowing only two runs over six innings.Velasquez struggled for three consecutive starts in August, allowing 19 runs over 16 1/3 innings in a trio of losses. He bounced back in his last start Sunday against the Mets and received no-decision when he allowed one run on five hits in five innings.I guess its just a step in the right direction, Velasquez said after his last start. I had another high pitch count, another long first inning, but I battled my way through it and made my pitches.The Phillies may shut Velasquez down after one or two more starts. They want to limit him to 150 innings -- hes thrown 124 innings this year.Gant is trying to improve his chances of making the Atlanta rotation for 2017. The rookie right-hander with the funky motion makes his first appearance against the Phillies. Gant, acquired last year in a midseason trade from the Mets, is making his first since returning from a left oblique strain that kept him on the disabled list for 58 days.The Braves got some good news Friday when they learned rookie outfielder Mallex Smith might be available before the end of the year. He broke his left thumb on June 18 and was batting .237 in 58 games at the time of his injury. His presence could cloud what has been a settled outfield since the team acquired Kemp from San Diego. Christian Dvorak Jersey . - Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is not a fan of his teams use of the wildcat formation, saying "it makes you look like a high school offence. Nick Cousins Jersey . The 25-year-old Japanese star has officially been posted by his club team, the Rakuten Golden Eagles. http://www.wholesalecoyotesjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-max-domi-jersey . The 31-year-old Spain midfielder hasnt played since Madrid lost in the Copa del Rey final to Atletico Madrid in May due to back and foot injuries. Cheap Coyotes Jerseys Online . PETERSBURG, Fla. Cheap Stitched Coyotes Jerseys . -- Ken Appleby made 32 saves for his first shutout of the season to lead the Oshawa Generals to a 2-0 win over the Belleville Bulls on Wednesday in Ontario Hockey League action. GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Mariano Rivera III never played Little League. He never made the varsity baseball team in high school. But someday, he might make the major leagues.Riveras path to the bigs is the unlikeliest and likeliest story you could imagine. In an American youth sports culture designed around programs that train toddlers like pro athletes, Rivera barely played baseball as a kid, and when he did, he wasnt particularly good. But through his veins runs the bloodline of the greatest relief pitcher the game has ever known.Rivera, though, doesnt want to be his dad.When he was a kid, he avoided playing baseball, opting instead for soccer and swimming. At 14, he finally went out for Babe Ruth but wasnt anything special. In high school, at Iona Prep in New Rochelle, New York, he played junior varsity and mostly pinch ran. He threw a total of six innings. Because Rivera didnt think he would play much, he declined to go out for baseball his senior year.On a whim, Rivera walked on at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut before he transferred to Iona. He had the name, and by then enough of a game, to compete as a pitcher. But he was nothing special for the Gaels, either. After redshirting, he posted a 5.40 ERA in 13 games as a sophomore in 2014.The Yankees drafted Rivera in the 29th round of the 2014 draft. But Mo III didnt sign, in part because he wants to be his own man.As a junior, he dominated, whittling his ERA to 2.65. In 85 innings, he struck out 113 and walked 27. The Washington Nationals were not doing anyone any favors when they picked him in the fourth round in 2015. They thought he could be a major leaguer on his own merit.Now 22, Rivera is -- what else? -- the closer for the Class-A Hagerstown Suns. According to his pitching coach, Sam Narron, his 95 mph fastball is already good enough for the bigs. He has a slider and a changeup. He does not throw a cutter.In his second year in the minors, he has a 4.20 ERA, which is mostly due to a couple of bad outings. He has struck out 43 and walked 22 in 60 innings. In June, he was a South Atlantic League All-Star.He deals with more attention than your average minor leaguer. Whenever he takes the mound, Rivera has two shadows following him, his and his fathers. For his first professional game at State College last year, the St. Louis Cardinals affiliate played his dads signature song, Metallicas Enter Sandman. A Red Sox minor league affiliate in Lowell did the same thing this season.The son has heard fans yell, Youll never be your father! This is almost comical because he doesnt want to be, which is how his father, his mother, Clara, and his grandma, Anna Diaz, raised him.They taught me that from day one, Rivera said. They wanted me to make my own path, to be a man. From a very young age, they wanted me to know what I wanted and fight for it every day. Thats why Im here.For the first nine years of his life, Rivera mostly lived away from his father and mother. He was born in Panama in October 1993, after his dad, 23 at the time, had finished Rookie League ball. His parents decided it would be wiser for Rivera to grow up in Panama under the guidance of his adoring grandma, rather than living the nomadic existence of the minor and major leagues. Each offseason, his parents returned to Panama.The elder Rivera and his wife lived in a small apartment in New Rochelle, New York, until 2002. Then they bought their first house in Rye. Rivera had made more than $25 million by then. Soon after, his 9-year-old son came to live full-time with his parents.When he arrived in the States, the younger Rivera did not speak English. He had a tutor attend classes with him and was the youngest kid in his grade. Along with the language barrier, Rivera didnt really understand his fathers prominence, which turned compliments into fear at summer day camp whenever the others kids mentioned the Yankees No. 42.They started talking about my dad, Rivera recalled. To me, my dad was a regular dad. They would say, Your dad is famous. I thought they were talking bad about my dad. I came home crying from the bus. I said to my grandmother, You know what they are saying? They said my dad is famous! I had no idea what that was. It was all new.Soon after, Rivera started popping up in the Yankees clubhouse, like many ballplayers children do. But there were no signs that he wanted a career in the big leagues. He continued to prefer soccer and swimming.In high school, Rivera said his fastball was only in the low 80s, which might explain why he pitched only six innings of junior varsity balll.ddddddddddddHe went to college, improved his mechanics and, though he is still slight -- at 5-foot-11, 155 pounds, he is 3 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than his dad -- his fastball started to gain steam, and scouts noticed. The Yankees first drafted him in the 29th round, as an homage to his lineage more than anything else. When the Nationals took him in the fourth round, the seriousness of Riveras passion took hold.With each step, his dad is a presence, but he tries not to crowd his son. The older Rivera has more baseball acumen than most, but he advises in a quiet fashion. Mariano knows a lot but says very little, said Fern Cuza, Riveras long-time agent.At the beginning of July, the greatest closer of all time showed up in Hagerstown. Rivera usually catches the Suns when they play closer to his Westchester home in Lakewood, New Jersey.His dad was in town in good ol Hagerstown, Suns manager Patrick Anderson said. Normally, he goes up to Lakewood when we play in New Jersey. But in Hagerstown, he came down, and he came into the office, and I said I wanted to get more information about his son, so he started telling me about how he grew up. It was a good conversation. He told me how they didnt give him everything. He earned everything.At the end of the conversation, he said to me, Do you mind if I go out there and work out with the boys? I was like, Yeah, and I turn around, and he is wearing [his sons] shorts and Nationals shorts and T-shirts. He came out and did a throwing program with his son and spoke to the boys.He talked to them about being good teammates and how amazing it was to have [Derek] Jeter, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte [alongside him]. Those guys were all about the team. The message to the boys was it is about the team. It is not about yourself. You want to get yourself better, but it is about the team concept, and how he presented it was amazing.The younger Riveras minor league teammates seem to like him because he plays down his name. His roommate, Rhett Wiseman, grew up near Boston. Wiseman joked that his roommates dad caused me a lot of tears. He has noticed that Rivera doesnt flaunt his fathers legend.I think it is great that he is with the Nationals, Wiseman said. It gives him the opportunity to create his own path. He is a very independent guy. He doesnt say, Im Mariano. Give me this. He is not entitled. He works for everything he gets.So far, this has meant not throwing the cutter, his fathers signature pitch. He has worked on it and tried out some grips but so far is sticking with his 91 mph slider.He wanted to create his own legacy, Wiseman said. I think it took him a couple of years [to decide] that it is a pitch I want to add, Im ready to add.Rivera said he has not added a cutter, but you can imagine that might be the next step in his maturation as a closer.He is also not your average prospect -- and not just because of his name. Because he didnt go through the manufactured, for-profit grinder of youth baseball, his arm might be in better shape.Hes got a fresh arm, thats for sure, said Narron, who pitched a single game in the majors in 2004 with the Texas Rangers. You have a lot of guys here, you have some mileage on their arm. Everything is new to him. You get some guys who are jaded because they are like, Ive played forever. Ive played since I was 5. Everything is new to him, so he wants to get as much information as he can. He is a sponge out there.Narron notices how Rivera reacts to crowds. There are more fans who want his autograph and picture because of his father.You see how he handles that. It is unbelievable, Narron said. He does a tremendous job with that little bit of weight on his shoulders. From what I have seen, he has handled it as well any human being could be expected to handle it.The funny thing is that the old tale about his father is how he found 3 miles per hour on his fastball in the minors. Rivera credited it to God. It is part of his legend. There is something funny about the young Riveras story too. When you talk to him, he has the same grace as his father. He is very polite. As hard as he tries not to be, he is very much like his old man.?His story -- if he makes the majors -- could be just as remarkable as his dads, a man who was just honored with a plaque in Yankee Stadiums Monument Park.If I had a career like my dad, I would be beyond happy, Rivera said. But at the same time, I dont want to be my dad. Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Black Jerseys Wholesale NFL Gear Cheap Stitched Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys 2018 Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys White NFL Jerseys Cheap ' ' '

nach oben springen

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: maradiliko
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 9574 Themen und 9597 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen