Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CALGARY -- Canada doesnt have obvious candidates in goal for the 2014 Olympic mens hockey tournament. [url=http://www.soccerengl

in
Häuser
14.06.2018 09:58
von jokergreen0220 • 1.339 Beiträge

CALGARY -- Canada doesnt have obvious candidates in goal for the 2014 Olympic mens hockey tournament. Harry Maguire England Jersey . Thats unusual for a country accustomed to familiar faces in net when Canadas men step on the international hockey stage. Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur were considered the worlds best goaltenders in their prime, with Curtis Joseph, Eddie Belfour and Marty Turco also regular wearers of the Maple Leaf. But even the man who backstopped Canada to Olympic gold in 2010 doesnt assume hell inherit the starting job in Sochi, Russia, in February. Roberto Luongos 34 saves, including four in overtime, lifted Canada to a 3-2 victory over the United States for the gold medal in Vancouver. "Its an open competition and whoever plays best deserves to be the starter," Luongo said upon arrival in Calgary for orientation camp. "You work hard and you want to be rewarded for your efforts. If Im going to be there, I want to deserve it." Luongo, Corey Crawford, Braden Holtby, Carey Price and Mike Smith were the five goalies among the 47 players summoned to Calgary for informational meetings and player bonding, but no skating. The cost of insuring what Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said was $1.5 billion in player contracts was deemed too high to put them on skates. The coaches intended to walk the players through systems Monday on a boarded-up ice surface at Canada Olympic Park. Brodeur, 41, wasnt invited to orientation camp, nor was Marc-Andre Fleury of the Pittsburgh Penguins, even though both goalies were on the Canadian team in 2010. Devan Dubnyk was one of Canadas goalies at the last four world championships, but the Edmonton Oiler was also left off the orientation camp roster. Crawford won a Stanley Cup in June with Chicago and is one of five Blackhawks at orientation camp. But the 28-year-old from Montreal has yet to represent Canada internationally. "Ive worked hard the last couple years and (tried) to prove myself," Crawford said. Smith, of the Phoenix Coyotes, got his first real taste of international hockey at this years world championships in Stockholm, where the 31-year-old posted two wins and two shootout losses. Price was outstanding in Canadas net at the 2007 world junior hockey championship on route to gold, but he too hasnt participated in a mens world championship. The 26-year-olds NHL career with the Montreal Canadiens has been a roller coaster of brilliant runs and falling out of favour. His stats this past lockout-shortened season were unimpressive. Neither his save percentage nor his goals-against average ranked among the top goalies in the NHL. "Ive had the opportunity to wear this countrys logo before," Price said. "When you step on that ice, it definitely gives you chills down your spine." Price married Angela Webber on Saturday before flying to Calgary. "To be honest, I didnt actually go to sleep," Price said. "I got some on the flight. You only get married once in your life. Its definitely time to take an opportunity to enjoy it." Holtby, who turns 24 next month, raised his stock during the 2012 post-season with the Washington Capitals. He was rewarded with the Caps starting job this past season, but his international experience consists of an under-18 mens world hockey championship in 2007. "My mind-set is that Im not going to put any extra, added pressure on myself," Holtby said. "My goal is to win games for the Caps. If Im winning games, thats all I can really do." Luongo remained atop Canadas goaltending depth chart a year after the 2010 Games when he took the Vancouver Canucks to within a game of winning the Stanley Cup. Hed still be considered the front runner for Sochi if not for his declining fortunes in Vancouver over the last year. Luongo had his heart set on a trade this summer after Cory Schneider had supplanted him. But Luongos contract -- worth $64 million -- was a drag on his trade prospects. The Canucks stunned Luongo by trading Schneider to New Jersey at the draft, thus bringing the 34-year-old from Montreal back as their No. 1. Its an awkward situation, although its not out of the question Luongo could make a fresh start in Vancouver under new head coach John Tortorella. "What Lous got going for him is that hes won in the past," Canadian head coach Mike Babcock said. "Ive been with him twice, at the 04 world championships and in 2010 and he wins every time. To me, hes got that confidence in himself. Hes been through a tumultuous time and I thought he handled it with extreme class and professionalism." The man ultimately responsible for assembling the 2014 mens hockey team and defending the gold medal isnt lying awake at night worrying about who his goaltenders will be in February. Steve Yzerman believes the position will sort itself out based on the goalies performances between now and December. "I think there are some new faces that are very good goaltenders," Canadas executive director said. "Roberto played on the last team. Corey Crawford is coming to camp. He just finished winning the Stanley Cup. "Things will work itself out. Im not going to worry about it here in August." Ashley Young England Jersey . -- The Florida Gators are first yet again this season. Gary Cahill Jersey . The $145.7-million Tim Hortons Field was slated to open this month, a year before it was to host all 32 mens and womens soccer competitions. The delay has forced the Hamilton Tiger-Cats football team to use a smaller facility for the first two home games of the season. http://www.soccerenglandfansshop.com/Kieran-Trippier-UEFA-EURO-Jersey/ .Y. - Alex Smith and the Kansas City Chiefs didnt flinch in the face of adversity.GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Its been a season of firsts for No. 6 Virginia. The Cavaliers are savoring their latest one by sticking around the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament a little while longer than usual. Virginia advanced to the ACC semifinals for the first time since 1995 by pulling away to beat Florida State 64-51 in a quarterfinal Friday. Joe Harris matched a season high with 20 points and Anthony Gill added 16 for the top-seeded Cavaliers (26-6). They shot 48 per cent, forced 15 turnovers and earned their third double-digit victory over the Seminoles this season while winning their 14th in 15 games. "We really just wanted to go out there and prove to everybody that we deserve to be here, we deserve the No. 1 seed," Gill said. Okaro White scored 17 points and Aaron Thomas added 13 for the ninth-seeded Seminoles (19-13). They shot 43 per cent against one of the nations best defences but couldnt keep the Cavaliers off the boards when it counted most, and were denied their third victory over a top-seeded team since 2009. A victory would have gone a long way toward propelling them back into the NCAA tournament. Instead, the Seminoles can only sweat it out until selection Sunday. "Our record speaks for us to be on the bubble, but I think were a great team," White said. "We had a tough time throughout the course of the season, but I think weve shown everyone were a team that should be out there. I think were a team thats up to the level of a lot of the teams that are going to be in the NCAA tournament, but its hard." Virginia established a 31-25 rebounding advantage -- 21-13 in the second half -- and finished with 17 second-chance points. "We talk about outlasting people all the time," freshman London Perrantes said. "We know that nobodys going to want to guard us 35 seconds every time down the court, so we know that if we keep running our offence, theyre going to get frustrated and were going to get good shots." White pulled Florida State to 61-49 with his jumper through contact with 3:25 left. Ashley Young Jersey. . But he missed the free throw and the Seminoles didnt hit another field goal the rest of the way. Virginia will face fifth-seeded Pittsburgh, which beat No. 15 North Carolina 80-75, on Saturday in the first semifinal. Thats unfamiliar territory for a Cavaliers program that hadnt reached the semifinals in nearly two decades -- the longest drought in the conference. In matching a league record with 16 conference victories, Virginia earned the No. 1 seed in the tournament for just the second time and first since 1981. The Cavaliers only tournament title came in 1976 and until Friday they had won only four ACC tournament games since that last semifinal appearance -- and none since 2010. "Weve done a lot of things that we havent done for years," Perrantes said. "So for this to happen for us now is definitely a relieving experience." They led for all but about eight minutes of this one and were in control throughout -- even if it took a while for the scoreboard to finally reflect that. "Its very hard to come back on a team like Virginia when theyre coming down and using 30 seconds of the shot clock," White said. "You cant get down on them." Harris, who matched the season high of 20 points against Hampton on Nov. 26, was 7 of 12 and hit at least half of his shots for the first time since a win against Maryland on Feb. 10. "He has a good feel when to let it come and when to be assertive," ACC coach of the year Tony Bennett said. "He senses. He doesnt get it right all of the time (but) he senses when something is required of him." Virginia pushed its lead into double figures for the first time on Gills free throw with 13:57 left that made it 43-33. Harris bounced in a 3-pointer four possessions later to make it 48-37, Darion Atkins followed that with a jumper and then hit two free throws to make it a 15-point game with 9:51 remaining. Ian Miller finished with 10 points for the Seminoles. China Jerseys Wholesale Cheap Jerseys Wholesale NFL Camo Jerseys Wholesale NFL Gear Cheap Jerseys Online Disocunt Football Jerseys Cheap NFL Black Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: maradiliko
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 9574 Themen und 9597 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen