Image and video hosting by TinyPic

a way to manage to win that game. We

in
Über uns
20.05.2019 00:14
von dasg234 • 3.635 Beiträge

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Big dents to their bank accounts for helmet-to-helmet hits on Cam Newton arent deterring Denver Broncos defenders Brandon Marshall and Darian Stewart.Ill do it again, Marshall declared shortly after saying hell fight his $24,309 fine for launching himself at Newton in Denvers 21-20 win over the Carolina Panthers in the NFL opener last week.Im not going to change the way I play the game, asserted Stewart, who was fined $18,231 for his high hit against the leagues reigning MVP.Marshall wasnt flagged for his hit, which the NFL deemed an impermissible use of the helmet (including illegal launching), according to its 2016 schedule of fines.Stewart was fined for roughing the QB in the final minute, a penalty that was nullified on the field when Newton was whistled for intentional grounding. Although Stewarts hit left Newton motionless on the ground, he wasnt checked for a concussion until after the game.Super Bowl MVP Von Miller and cornerback Bradley Roby didnt find FedEx envelopes in their lockers like Marshall and Stewart did Wednesday as they avoided any fines for their own helmet-to-helmet hits on Newton.For what? We didnt do anything, Miller told The Associated Press. I could see if we did something wrong.The four hits on Newton, three of which werent flagged, sparked a debate about league safety, the viability of option quarterbacks in the NFL and the notion that Denver plays dirty.Newton dismissed news of the fines.My job is to win football games, not lobby for my health, Newton said Wednesday, adding he feels great and he didnt want to dwell on the previous game and the hits.The Broncos said their job was to keep playing stout defense.Ill just say this: we play hard and were going to continue to play hard, coach Gary Kubiak said. Its really difficult defensively when you have a quarterback who goes from a passer to a runner and youre committed (as a defender) and thats what both of these guys were.We understand that you have to stay away from the head, but were going to continue to play hard. That ones in the past. Were moving on.Not entirely.Although they avoided suspensions, Marshall and Stewart said theyd appeal their fines.I felt like he was running with the ball and I was trying to make a play, Stewart said. He was doing that the whole game. I was just being aggressive, but not really aiming for the head.Panthers left tackle Michael Oher was glad to hear about the fines, but would have preferred flags.Well, I wish some calls could have gotten made in the game, he said. There were some calls that could have been made. But maybe in the future he will be treated more like a quarterback.Marshall insists Newton has to be treated like a 250-pound running back when he leaves the pocket. He also found himself wishing hed been flagged for his hit on Newton because that might have resulted in a fine such as Stewarts.Because there was no whistle, the league determined the violation and fined him $6,078 more than Stewart.Thats a huge fine, Marshall said. And I know what it looked like. It looked bad. But thats a lot of money. So, yes, Im upset about it. I wasnt expecting that amount. Honestly, the truth be told, I was expecting Stew to get more than me.On another front, Marshall said he was finalizing an endorsement deal from music mogul Russell Simmonss Rushcard after losing two endorsements over his kneeling during the national anthem before the opener in support of Colin Kaepernicks protest of social injustices and police treatment of minorities.Marshall, who has pledged to donate to military charities and expand his work in the community, also met with Denver police chief Robert White on Tuesday.Marshall said he will accept Whites invitation to participate in a shoot-or-dont-shoot training simulator and to go on a ride-along with police officers.---AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and AP NFL Twitter feed: www.twitter.com/AP-NFL---AP Sports Writer Steve Reed contributed. Follow AP Pro Football Writer Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapletonAuthentic Under Armour UK . Clarkson had been dealing with an elbow injury in early January and will be out of action for at least one week. He has three goals and five assists through 36 games with the Leafs this season. Cheap Shoes UK . There are surprises among the Vezina candidates, but most of the others are standard top-tier performers, even if the two Hart Trophy runners-ups have never been quite as good as they have been through the first half of the season. http://www.discountunderarmouruk.com/ . Emery skated the length of the ice and fought an unwilling Holtby during the third period of the Flyers 7-0 loss Friday night in Philadelphia. He was given 29 penalty minutes, including a game misconduct. But Emery did not face even a disciplinary hearing with NHL senior vice president of player safety Brendan Shanahan because rules 46. Cheap Under Armour Shoes UK For Sale . 10 Texas Rangers jersey for one last time. Young formally announced his retirement Friday after returning to Rangers Ballpark, his baseball home for all but the last of his 13 major league seasons. Discount Under Armour Shoes UK . The deal is pending a physical, assistant general manager Bobby Evans said. Traded from Seattle to Baltimore on Aug. 30, Morse also can play first base and right field to give manager Bruce Bochy some flexibility in writing his lineup.CHICAGO -- It would be an understatement to say Terry Francona exhausted his bag of tricks in the Cleveland Indians 1-0 victory over the Chicago Cubs in Game 3 of the World Series. The Indians manager started his designated hitter, Carlos Santana, in left field. He lifted his starting pitcher, Josh Tomlin, in the middle of a shutout after 4? innings. He burned his most dominant reliever, Andrew Miller, with nine outs to go. And he used each of the 13 position players on his roster.By the end of the evening, Francona was tired-yet-euphoric; gratified-yet-frazzled. And the Indians had taken a 2-games-to-1 lead and ensured that the Cubs only route to clinching their first title in 108 years would entail a trip back to Progressive Field in Cleveland.That was agonizing, Francona said. As fun of a game as it was to be a part of, that was agonizing because we used so many guys.The Indians and Cubs split the first two games in Cleveland, but both games were one-sided affairs with no late-inning drama. Game 3, in contrast, was a messy and thoroughly entertaining October classic. There were several mental errors and defensive misplays, and the Indians came out on the short side of two of three defensive replays. But the result was in doubt from the first pitch through Cody Allens game-ending strikeout of Javier Baez.Cleveland pitching coach Mickey Callaway sensed he was in the middle of something special when he watched Francona navigate one briar patch after another in the late innings.It was fun, Callaway said. We used every one of our bench players and Titos lineup card was a mess. There was stuff going on everywhere.The Indians received a terrific performance from Tomlin, who rocked the Cubs to sleep with fastball command, an effective curve and mound presence to spare. It was a performance made even more poignant by the presence of his father, Jerry, who is paralyzed from the waist down due to a rare medical condition but still found a way to travel all the way from Texas to watch his son make him proud.It was a night of growing pains for Cleveland shortstop Francisco Lindor, who killed a potential big inning in the first when he got picked off by Kyle Hendricks and grounded into a bases-loaded double play against Justin Grimm on the fifth. If the Indians had lost this game, Lindor would have had a tough night getting to sleep back at the team hotel.The game marked the first postseason appearance by Cleveland catcher Yan Gomes and the first significant contribution from 34-year-old utility man Michael Martinez, who scored the only run as a pinch-runner and played center field and third base in the late innings.But most of all, it was a showcase for Francona, who milked every emotion out of his welcome-back-to-the-National League odyssey.The wheels began spinning in the bottom of the fifth. With 13 Cubs down and 14 outs remaining, Francona came to the mound and pulled Tomlin for Miller after a mere 58 pitches. The Indians plan to bring Tomlin back on short rest in Game 6, so it was a nice bonus for Francona to lift him so early. But it was also a bit of a risky play for the Indians.Miller had pitched two or more innings five times in his first seven postseason appearances. But all those outings came under American League rules. There was no DH in play at Wrigley, so Francona knew that circumstances might prevent him from getting that kind of length out of Miller oon Friday.ddddddddddddI dont think we really want to go 2? innings all the time, Francona said. I mean, its worked out like that, and in the National League its certainly going to be a little harder. But he threw (17) pitches, and I was OK with where we were there. That was plenty for tonight.Miller retired Miguel Montero on a fly out to strand the potential tying run at second base in the fifth, and he struck out Dexter Fowler, Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo in order in the sixth. But he was due to bat fourth in the top of the seventh, and the Indians knew he was on borrowed time.As the Indians put runners on first and third on a Roberto Perez single, a sacrifice bunt, a wild pitch and a walk, Miller stood in the on-deck circle sporting a baby giraffe-in-the-headlights look. But it was strictly for show; the Indians had no intention of letting him anywhere near home plate.I asked Andrew if he could hit in case we didnt take the lead before that, and he said, No! Callaway said, laughing.With good reason: Miller has a career batting average of .056 (4-for-72) and he hadnt made a plate appearance since 2011, when he struck out in all four of his at-bats with the Boston Red Sox.I didnt have a whole lot of confidence in my ability, Miller said. Im terrible. Pretty awful. I could hit [batting practice] OK for a little while, but ultimately I think pitching was the way to go for me.Francona mercifully took Miller down and summoned Coco Crisp, who was acquired from the Oakland Athletics in September, and Crisp promptly delivered a single to right field off Carl Edwards Jr. to drive in the only run of the game. It was the latest contribution in a memorable run for Crisp, who had previously homered in Clevelands American League Central title clincher, the division series clincher against Boston and the ALCS clincher against Toronto.With Miller out of play, it was up to Bryan Shaw and Allen to apply the hammer in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings, and they were up to the task. Shaw pitched around a Jorge Soler triple in the seventh and logged 1? scoreless innings, and Allen whiffed Baez on a 94-mph heater to strand runners at second and third and send the Wrigley fans home miserable.This is the best those two guys have looked, and thank God, Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis?said. This bullpen and this pitching staff has been carrying us. Theyre the reason were here, and theyre probably the reason well go wherever we go.If Francona follows his postseason routine Saturday, hell go for an early swim to clear his head, arrive at the park before noon and start reading the scouting reports sans distractions. He has been living in a cocoon, and hes not about to let his emotions get the best of him now.We know were going to have our hands full to beat those guys, and tonight was a good example, Francona said. That was as close a ballgame as youre ever going to find, and we found a way to manage to win that game. We say it all the time: We want to be one run better. Thats about as true to form as you can get.The drama of Game 3 will be difficult to top, but Francona will be back in the dugout Saturday night with a pristine lineup card, staff ace Corey Kluber on the mound and Indians two wins away from their first World Championship since 1948. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: maradiliko
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 9574 Themen und 9597 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen