Image and video hosting by TinyPic

eeks ranking:Record Pts P

in
Über uns
21.06.2018 15:16
von dasg234 • 3.635 Beiträge

Some high school students face a certain difficult decision when they graduate: go to college and (possibly) play an NCAA sport or serve in the military. Laura Madaio and the team at Athletes of Valor are working to end the false impression that they cant do both.Athletes of Valor is a start-up based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, whose mission is to provide veterans, active duty military personnel and transitioning servicemen and women the resources and platform to go from the military into college sports. Although the NCAA has a rule that says that student-athletes have five years to complete their four years of eligibility (and their clock typically starts ticking one year after high school graduation), servicemen and women are exempt, meaning they retain their eligibility.What Athletes of Valor has been trying to do is make military personnel aware they have this opportunity once they complete their service. Its platform is in place to streamline the process, allowing servicemen and women to publish profiles with their information and videos, then connect with college coaches who also use the platform.Every coach weve talked to, hands down, wants to recruit veterans, wants to recruit active duty military, said Alex Stone, a former Marine sergeant who left his job at Under Armour to found Athletes of Valor. Theres not one coach whos ever said, No, Im not interested. And thats a tribute to what these men and women can accomplish both on and off the field.Although the NCAA, according to a spokesperson, does not track the number of veterans competing in college sports, Athletes of Valors numbers are already in the hundreds despite only existing for a few months and having a staff of just four (plus an intern). But Madaio, its marketing manager whose responsibilities range from social media and editing to public outreach and finding prospective student-athletes, wants the number to be in the thousands by the end of 2017.Madaio, 25, a former two-sport athlete at Western New England University, previously worked with the Pawtucket Red Sox, 98.5 The Sports Hub, Wheaton College and IDG. But once she discovered Athletes of Valor, It was really a no-brainer.Here is Madaios story, in her words.A taste of humble pieI think being here for the Marine Corps birthday and for Veterans Day has definitely been top of mind as far as really bringing me back down to earth and realizing what were doing, the impact that its making. Even in this small office, people are very familiar with what were doing, and having people come out of nowhere into the office to say Happy Veterans Day and Happy Marine Corps Birthday to Alex and director of sales and business development Jay Blydell and realizing that I work for some really great people. And I know that, but I think it never hurts to get a reminder like that, have someone come in and say that these guys are our heroes.Family tiesI think I just grew up very pride-filled and very appreciative. Both my grandfathers served. I have two uncles that were Marines, one that was in the Air Force. My dads cousin was titled one of the most decorated Vietnam veterans in Massachusetts. So Ive grown up listening to these stories. When I got to talk to my uncles about all of this and talking to my grandpa, they were just so thrilled and excited that people are still making strides toward veterans affairs. Ive obviously been super passionate about being a woman in sport, and the fact that I can now aid women in sport while now working in sport is super exciting for me. If we can help anyone, I think weve done our job if we can help one person.More than footballI think theres definitely the misunderstanding that we just want male college football and lacrosse players on the platform. Of course thats gonna be a huge population for us, but what is most exciting is seeing the female athletes sign up and get involved, and knowing that type of word of mouth on a story that comes out about a female that is a former Army Ranger who went on to row -- or whatever that story is in college -- and then having that light bulb go off in someones head thats either active duty or veteran coming home and thinking, Oh, I can do that. All we really need is for these men and women to have that light bulb go off and say, Im competitive, I can do that.Not a charity caseRight now, we have coaches either reaching out to us and signing up or coaches reaching out to us and asking questions about how they get involved. Its been really exciting to see the response weve gotten from coaches. Coaches are understanding that this is not a charitable thing. This is not put a veteran on your team for good PR and to make you feel good about yourself. This is put a veteran on your team because you know theyre gonna make a difference, and you know that theyre gonna compete, and you know that theyre gonna be the guy in the locker room thats rallying everyone up and the guy thats out on the field giving his absolute all.Finding camaraderieIn a lot of our research, veterans are finding themselves feeling individualized and almost alone on campus unless they have some great veteran services to aid them in that type of transition. The sports structure is bringing that again. Its sharing your water with guys on the field. Its having meals -- a lot of sports teams eat breakfast together, or dinner -- taking long rides together, getting to know people again. They just align quite well the more you think about the day-to-day structure in the military and in sport.Then, from what weve seen, a lot of the times, a lot of college athletes need leadership and they need brotherhood, and these veterans have stories, amazing stories and experiences, in explaining to us that theyve provided that for students. A 26-year-old veteran who shows up to his college dorm and realizes hes rooming with 18-year-old freshmen on his baseball team, hes gonna provide that maturity and that cultured type of persona in their lives and on that team.Reading the commentsI run our social media accounts, and Im getting notifications nonstop. ... When I check my phone and see that an active-duty Marine commented on our Instagram and said, This is great, Im signing up, or I see someone, a mom or a girlfriend tag their son or daughter or significant other and say, Check this out, thats incredibly exciting for me not because I think that our ad is working; its because I think our story is resonating with people, and thats probably the most exciting thing. Authentic Dylan Cantrell Jersey . -- Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson asked his players a simple question during Fridays morning shootaround: How many of them had ever been on a team 14 games over . Authentic Kyzir White Jersey . Ronaldo produced a spectacular individual performance on Tuesday, scoring all three goals and guiding Portugal into the next years World Cup in Brazil with a 3-2 victory in Sweden. The Real Madrid forward has scored 66 goals in 2013, but the last three may be the boost he needs to upstage Messi after FIFA unexpectedly extended the voting period for the Ballon dOr to Nov. http://www.cheapchargersjerseysauthentic.com/ . It was Kerbers third final of the year after losing to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia in Monterrey in April and to Petra Kvitova of Czech Republic in Tokyo two weeks ago. The 10th-ranked German improved her record in finals to 3-5. Authentic Derwin James Jersey . -- Linebacker Myles Jack ran for four touchdowns, defensive end Cassius Marsh caught a scoring pass, and No. Wholesale Chargers Jerseys . Kyle Denbrook, a soccer player from Saint Marys University, took the CIS male athlete of the week honour. Stanley, a fourth-year business administration student from Charlottetown, scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Dalhousie on Friday and tallied again in a 1-0 win over Saint Marys on Sunday. The top 25 teams in The Associated Press college basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, records through Nov. 20, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote and last weeks ranking:Record Pts Prv1. Kentucky (42) 4-0 1592 22. Villanova (21) 5-0 1561 33. Indiana (2) 3-0 1443 64. North Carolina 4-0 1399 55. Kansas 2-1 1374 76. Duke 4-1 1337 17. Virginia 3-0 1198 88. Arizona 3-0 1129 109. Xavier 5-0 1099 1110. Louisville 3-0 947 1211. Gonzaga 3-0 872 1412. Creighton 4-0 770 2213. Oregon 2-1 748 414. UCLA 4-0 735 1615. Saint Marys (Cal)) 3-0 703 1716.ddddddddddddWisconsin 2-1 666 917. Purdue 2-1 613 1518. Syracuse 3-0 610 1819. West Virginia 3-0 474 1920. Baylor 3-0 371 -21. Iowa St. 3-0 319 2022. Texas 3-0 251 2323. Rhode Island 4-1 217 2124. Michigan St. 2-2 183 1325. Michigan 4-0 89 -25. Florida St. 4-0 89 -Others receiving votes: California 56, Maryland 55, Miami 44, Cincinnati 39, Wichita St. 36, Florida 34, Seton Hall 15, Butler 14, Dayton 14, Virginia Tech 12, Notre Dame 6, Ohio St. 4, Colorado 4, Ohio 1, Tennessee St. 1, Rutgers 1. China Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China China NFL Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Online Cheap NFL Jerseys Camo Jerseys From China ' ' '

nach oben springen

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: maradiliko
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 9574 Themen und 9597 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen